Data Access Policies
FaceBase Data fits into one of two broad categories: open and restricted access.
Data in this category is available on the FaceBase website to any interested user and does not require any formal registration to browse. The only requirement to download this data is to request an account (use the 'Sign Up' link at the top of the page).
Open access data includes the following:
- Summary-level human data (for example, averaged facial measures)
- All non-human data
- Certain genomic data, such as ChIP-seq and RNA-seq datasets from human samples or from human-derived cells (hESCs, iPSCs, etc.) that contain only frequencies or genomic positions for a browser track (i.e., it cannot be used to identify an individual).
Data in this category is not available until you have submitted the required documents and are approved by the Data Access Committee (DAC).
Restricted access data is limited to the following:
- All identifiable, individual-level human data.
- Examples include demographic descriptors, phenotypic measures, 3D images, and sequencing data.
Applying for Access to Restricted Data
In order to access this data, you must follow the process outlined below:
- Complete the FaceBase Data Use Certification Agreement.
- Complete the Data Access Request (DAR) document.
- Obtain an IRB approval from your institution.
- Submit the Data Use Certification Agreement, DAR, and the IRB approval to the NIH Data Access Committee at dac AT facebase.org.
You will receive an answer from the Data Access Committee within 4-6 weeks.
- Once your request is processed, you will be notified via email whether or not your user account is approved for human dataset downloads. Note that this permission to download human data expires a year after the date of approval.
- After the approval email is sent out, a member of the FaceBase Hub will contact you directly to provide the data securely (i.e., you will not download the data directly from the regular website.)
If you have any questions regarding this process or need help with downloads please contact the FaceBase Help Desk via email: help AT facebase.org.
Allow approximately 4-6 weeks for a response. If approved, you will have access to the human data for one year after the approval date.